In theory, the process of grounding is very simple. Just create (imagine) a connection to the Earth, with link extending from your 1st chakra/tailbone to the core of the planet. It allows you to release unneeded other people's energy, pain or discomfort you might have, troublesome emotions and fears, and sub-personalities through the grounding cord.
However, for many people, this process, which may equally benefit you either as a stand-alone exercise, or as the preliminary stage for the following still or moving meditation, becomes an obstacle for the spiritual advance. While the technique is easy to adopt, the internal subconscious rejection and mental white noise make it difficult to open the necessary energy channel.
Visualization is a process in which you can use guided imagery to effect specific behaviors and events. Note that the brain is unable to tell the difference between a real and an imagined event, and specific images can impact brain wave frequencies to lower and calm it down. Therefore, the visualization is so effective for any meditation activities.
There are multiple benefits of grounding, we can consider. Among them:
ü It helps you shake off the daily troubles, get out of the routine, and be present.
ü It begins the meditation exercise by shifting shifting consciousness.
ü It raises some energy to work with.
ü It creates a container within you for energy to be held and directed.
ü It acts as a lightening rod, so excess energy can flow freely without damage to your conduits.
ü It protects you from taking on harmful energies.
ü It helps ensure that you send out only beneficial energies.
ü It unifies the group energy (if practiced in group setting).
Let’s review the basic visualization techniques, helping for get efficient grounding:
1. Turn off all electronic gadgets: cell phones, televisions, etc.
2. Find a nice, quiet place where you can be alone for about 15 – 20 minutes.
3. Stand or sit upright in a comfortable chair with your feet planted on the ground. Make sure you do not cross your legs – you want energy to flow through you.
4. Let your arms hang comfortably at your sides or rest your hands (palms up) on your lap. Take a moment and make sure your body is comfortable.
5. To help center yourself, gently sway from side to side, and then gently move from your hips, forwards and then backwards. You will sense where the center of gravity is in your body to keep you aligned.
6. Close your eyes and focus on your breathing.
7. Breathe in through your nose, slowly and deeply. Feel your stomach expand as you breathe in. Exhale and feel your stomach relax.
8. Focus on breathing this way for a couple of minutes until it becomes rhythmic and effortless. Take a few moments and allow your body to completely relax. Tension is being released from all your muscles. Notice how good you feel. Pay attention to where your body feels the heaviest against the chair or the floor.
9. Imagine you are standing in your bare feet on the ground. (It doesn't matter where you actually are at the moment). Your feet are planted firmly on the bare earth, and by an exercise of your will, you send roots into the earth. As you inhale, you draw energy up through your new 'roots', and as you exhale, you send your roots even further into the earth and visualize as the unwanted energy move through the roots, down to the ground.
10. Some people are able to skip the roots part, and just visualize energy being released through their feet, down into the ground.
11. You can use your own creative way for the most efficient grounding. For example, imagining the anchor dropped to the core of the Earth, or the roots going deep to the center and securely attaching to the magic crystal there. Or, you can imagine that you are actually a tree, making the roots extension down a totally natural process.
12. If you are outside in the nature, you can just hug a tree, which is perfectly grounded by default, and intend to release the unwanted energies. The tree will do the rest.
13. One more popular grounding technique is called cord grounding. Let’s review the imagination process in more details.
Imagine a cord connected to your root chakra at the bottom of your tailbone. Then see this cord go down into the floor. This cord can look or feel like anything you choose. See this cord go down through the floor into the ground underneath this building. See the cord continue through the ground all the way to the center of the planet. Feel this cord connect to the center of the planet. Now feel yourself attached to the center of the planet by your cord. Once you feel this connection, imagine particles of energy moving out from your head to your root chakra (at the bottom of your tailbone) and down the cord. You might see this energy as particles, or you might see pictures coming out of your head and going down the cord. If you see something in particular go down the cord, that does not mean it is bad. It’s just a thought that you don’t need right now, energy you don’t need and are sending to the center of the earth.
See this energy drop all the way to the center of the planet. You might even hear the energy go down the cord. What does it sound like? Now see energy come from your hands and arms down through your stomach and down your cord. It travels to the center of the planet because you don’t need it anymore. Now feel this energy move out from all the areas in your body. Listen to the energy move from your chest down to the center of the planet. See this energy come from your feet and legs and go down your grounding cord.
14. Practice meditation with grounding, daily. Do it before getting your day going, and try it again before retiring for the evening. A regular grounded meditation practice can actually help you to sleep better at night, which is crucial to your healing. Your body needs this time to rejuvenate, as does your spirit. Our bodies are made of the elements of the Earth. And when we ground ourselves, we allow these energies to flow through us. Clearing, healing and balancing our minds, bodies and hearts, so that we can function properly and live happier, healthier and more balanced lives. By grounding ourselves, we become fully present in our bodies, accepting the fact that even though we are spiritual beings, we are now walking on this Earth in this physical body, and we need to honor who we now are, the role we are meant to play and the path we chose to walk in this physical world.
15. Do, whatever works for you. Experiment with different grounding approaches and settings until you find the perfect combination which helps you to get grounded fast and efficiently. Have several alternatives in your “spiritual toolbox” to alternate as necessary.